Author: Adam Lowenthal
Chris Young made his first start since his short stint on the DL from biceps tendinitis. Young was said to be limited to 90 pitches. He threw 4.2 innings of decent baseball and was relieved by Ryota Igarashi who struck out Jason Werth in a big situation to end the 5th inning. Young looked sharp to start the game but gave up 3 solo homers. Josh Thole said after the game that he was encouraged by Young's start.
Key's to the Game:
- Ike Davis had 3 hits and scored 2 runs
- Josh Thole had a huge double in the 6th inning to plate 2 and give the Mets the lead
- Daniel Murphy, Jason Bay, and Jason Pridie all had 2 hits
- Carlos Beltran had an RBI double but was also robbed of hits in 2 other at-bats
- The bullpen was spot on again, Taylor Bucholz recorded 2 innings of scoreless baseball, followed by Jason Isringhausen who allowed 1 run in the 8th, followed by K-Rod who didn't allow a run in a fairly easy 9th inning.
...Well this is fun! They have now won 5 straight, Ike Davis can't get out and their pitching has just been awesome. With the recent depth the starters have given the club, the bullpen is well rested and responding good. After this series the Mets schedule begins to get really dificult. Winning 5 straight games is simply impressive, I don't care who you are playing....
Tonight, R.A. Dickey (0-2, 4.10 ERA) will be gunning for his fist win of the season by facing off against southpaw Tom Gorzelanny (0-2, 4.96 ERA) whom the Mets already beat this year. The game is set for 7:05 pm at Nationals Park in Washington D.C.